Wednesday, December 31, 2014

A Moral Analysis of "Blank Space" by Taylor Swift

I am a youth pastor... And I am also a singer/songwriter. This provides me with a particular perspective on pop culture that is both creative and spiritual. With that being said, today I am beginning a brand new series on JHT where I will analyze songs from both angles given my background. 

This is not intended to be an endorsement of any given song, or a moral imperative to avoid it. I will analyze songs I love and songs I despise, and everything between. The decision to listen or avoid rests upon the listener's conscience. Furthermore, this is not intended to skewer or lambast any artist, but to investigate their anthems in a new light... So here we go. Our first subject is the pop hit "Blank Space" by Taylor Swift.

Nice to meet you
Where you been?
I could show you incredible things
Magic, madness, heaven, sin

This verse is Taylor's swift version of "Dark Horse"(by Katy Perry), essentially. She is promising the subject that her affections will bring about a spiritual or mystical experience. Kinda creepy.

Saw you there and I thought oh my god
Look at that face, you look like my next mistake

Women are capable of lust too, and this is what it looks like. This is no different than the hip hop star who pens a verse about the voluptuous woman he ogles in the club. The difference is that it's not considered sleazy if a girl does it.

Love's a game, wanna play
New money, suit and tie
I can read you like a magazine
Ain't it funny rumors fly
And I know you heard about me

When it comes to relationships, her reputation precedes her.  After all, the vast majority of her singles revolve around relationships and breakups. By the end of this track, we'll gain new insight into why these relationships tend to fail. Keep reading!

So hey, let's be friends
I'm dying to see how this one ends
Grab your passport and my hand
I could make the bad guys good for a weekend

Ok, here's the thing. Most pop divas use their sexuality as a marketing ploy. They leverage it for financial and personal gain. Many fans think that Taylor swift is a higher kind of pop star, rising above the likes of former stars like Britney Spears and Christina Aguilara, or contemporaries such as Katy perry and Rihanna.This is Swift's proclamation that they are wrong. She is not above the fray. She is your usual pop star wrapped in girl-next-door clothing, and she leverages her sexuality all the same. She likes flings and bad boys. She embraces poor choices in her relationships. She's part of the pop diva bloodline, clearly. 

So it's gonna be forever
Or it's gonna go down in flames
You can tell me when it's over
If the high was worth the pain
Got a long list of ex-lovers
They'll tell you I'm insane
Cause you know I love the players
And you love the game

Another "Dark Horse" rip off. She is warning her lover-to-be that he's stuck. Stay or pay. She's a black widow, a femme fatale of sorts -- she will chew you up and spit you out. This is the faux nice girl version of the Katy Perry hit. Morally, it's built upon the same bedrock: overstated promises of pleasure and unfair proclamations of ownership of the unfortunate lover.

Cause we're young and we're reckless
We'll take this way too far 
It'll leave you breathless
Or with a nasty scar
Got a long list of ex-lovers
They'll tell you I'm insane
But I got a blank space baby
And I'll write your name


In this chorus, Swift makes it clear that this relationship is a fling. She expects its demise right from the start. But nonetheless, she loves to play the field and her subject does too, so their predilections will complement one another. It's no wonder that this song is a hit, because hookup culture and the era of "no strings attached" is in full swing. Commitment just isn't hip right now.

Cherry lips
Crystal skies
I could show you incredible things
Stolen kisses, pretty lies
You're the king baby I'm your queen
Find out what you want
Be that girl for a month
But the worst is yet to come
Oh no

Another verse where swift brags about her ability to conceal madness beneath the veneer of being quaint and quirky. Once again, she promises to show the subject marvelous things, as if her sensuality has some kind of deeper power.
Screaming, crying, perfect storms
I could make all the tables turn
Rose garden filled with thorns
Keep you second guessing like oh my god
Who is she? I get drunk on jealousy
But you'll come back each time you leave
Cause darling I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream

She's a crazy ex girlfriend waiting to happen, and she's proud of it. Yikes.  Some would call this whole thing women's empowerment, but I don't think women really want to be empowered to be manipulative and conniving. I want my daughter to be an astronaut or the president, not this. 

Boys only want love if it's torture
Don't say I didn't say I didn't warn you
Boys only want love if it's torture
Don't say I didn't say I didn't warn you

In this final section, it's unclear if Swift is talking to the audience or the male subject. In any case, she suggests that men are attracted to the kind of bad girl persona that she secretly maintains. Sorry Taylor, but men are only drawn to you for the kinds of relationships described in this song-- fleeting, shallow, and fragile. 

In summary, Taylor Swift's "Blank Space" is a departure from her usual material about breakups, instead  granting insight into her romantic decision-making in general. This song shows how her relationships start; most other Swift tunes show us how they end. Now we know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment