Wednesday, September 10, 2014

How the Ice Bucket Challenge Froze My Spirit

  As the ice bucket challenge continues to steamroll through the internet at record speeds, there are a variety of news articles and bloggers beginning to re-think and challenge this trend. Before I go any further, let me make it clear that I am glad to see this rise in charitable giving and I believe the cause is worthwhile. Money is being donated in huge amounts, and that's a good thing. However, this challenge has had a particular impact on me, and I want to share a little about how I feel on a very personal level. Hannah and I bare our hearts online for the world's benefit, and I refuse to only do it when the message seems pretty, neat, and nicely spoken.

   This summer will be remembered by a few things -- the riots in Ferguson, the rise of ISIS in the middle east, and of course, the ubiquitous Ice Bucket Challenge. I find myself in an awkward situation, because I tried to start a nonprofit this summer, and it has faltered so far because of a lack of funding. This summer, I will always remember watching my aspirations and efforts wither as a viral trend compelled countless people around me to give money to a cause that they hadn't even considered before. Obviously, finances aren't the issue when it comes to compelling the public to give.

    I am certain that I'm not alone. Out there in America right now, there must be plenty of churches who are on the brink of foreclosure. There's a pastor out there who's going to have to lay off a staff member due to funding cuts. There's a great ministry whose plans are indefinitely cancelled because of money problems. Meanwhile, these people are watching the congregation around them donate relentlessly to a cause because it got hitched to a viral sensation by happenstance. This doesn't make the Challenge wrong, but it is a tragic situation to find yourself in. It's the plight Hannah and I are facing every day.

    I didn't take the ice bucket challenge, but I feel like I have. I feel like I've had 10,000 gallons of cold water poured on my spirit and my enthusiasm. I feel like my vision has been stamped out like a cigarette butt. This may be uncomfortable to hear, but guess what? It's even more uncomfortable to feel.

     It's not the public's fault. The Ice Bucket Challenge videos are funny, I guess. I'm sure nonprofits will be shamelessly trying to emulate this fad for the next year, in hopes of striking it rich. In all reality, though, wasn't this just dumb luck? ALS, though tragic, is a relatively rare disease. It's not even close to the top of the leading causes of death list. The ALSA became the surprise beneficiary of a trend gone out of control. People aren't giving because they are passionate or informed, they are giving because the cultural whirlwind is whipping crazily.

     People do the Challenge for a variety of reasons. For some, they enjoy the attention that comes from a wet t-shirt contest that you're allowed to share on Facebook. Why else do it in a thin white t-shirt? I mean, c'mon.  For others, it's a way to broadcast their altruism widely for the world to see (Matthew 6, anyone?).  And for many, I'm sure, it's just a silly and amusing trend that happens to also benefit ALS research. It's not wrong, but it impacts my personal journey. That's why I have a lot to say about it.

    I'm sorry. I'm sorry my cause wasn't funny or trendy. I apologize that our project was centered around a solid vision and a worthwhile mission statement, and it lacked the social selling points to become successful. I am sorry that I failed to entertain the public in the process. I am not saying this with hatred or sarcasm in my heart, just disappointment. Am I frustrated? Yes, of course. But I realize that our community has spoken, and I've learned a lot about myself and the public in the process.

       This is not an aggressive appeal for giving. Honestly, I'm not concerned with that right now. I just want to make sense of the season I've just experienced, and I want to help others in the process. Many of our friends will read this, and this is for them, because they need to know where we stand and what we've been facing. This is how I feel, take it or leave it. Thanks for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment